What is ISO/IEC 27001?
An information security standard and the part of ISO/IEC 27000 family is ISO/IEC 27001 which is the most popular one among IT industries. It was developed and published worldwide to help the IT industry to manage risks and to make its security system more effective.
ISO/IEC 27001 is an internationally recognized success proven standard for any information security management system that provides assistance to not only highlight risks in existing management system but helps to devise relevant and an effective information security management system that is perfect for your organization.
Moreover, ISO/IEC 27001 standard serves as a guideline towards continually reviewing and improving the security of your information, which will exemplify reliability and add value to the services of your organization. It is based on three core principle of information security:
The implementation of an Information Security Management System, complying with ISO/IEC 27001 is a strategic decision that aspires to improve your overall information security and provide a strong basis for sustainable development initiatives.
What is the importance of ISO/IEC 27001?
Nowadays, words are not enough to prove credibility you must have a solid proof to gain the trust of your customers, affiliates, and stakeholders. Especially in terms of information security, you cannot fathom to gain a foothold in global marketplace without having a solid standardize information security management system in place and the best one for this specific job can be attained by implementing ISO/IEC 27001.
What are the benefits of ISO/IEC 27001?
Securing your company assets according to ISO/IEC 27001 standard and refining the infrastructure to ensure the informational integrity and business stability will help you gain a respectable reputation among your suppliers and customers because you are prioritizing the security of their as well as your private internal information. Some notable benefits of ISO/IEC 27001 implementation are as follows:
- Gaining a certain amount of distinction among your peers
- You will have peace of mind regarding the operating procedures as they will be well defined
- By having a grasp on the security ROI (return on investment) you can calculate key performance indicators
- ISO/IEC 27001 credentials will guarantee effective risk management
- You can stop worrying about a constant risk to reputation by any events that will breach the information security of the organization
- It is your ultimate escape from financial penalties caused by data breaches. The losses associated with data breaches are recorded with a rise of about 7% in 2017 according to Ponemon
- Process integration with corporate strategies of risk management
- Being ISO/IEC 27001 compliant defines how much you are concerned about your business’s image and want to protect your organization from cyber attacks and potential threats
Adherence to appropriate information security management principles will aid the organization in achieving business objectives and goals, whereas poorly designed information security management system might result in substantial deterioration of your organization’s information security.