Maintaining ISO 27001: All standards belonging to the ISO/IEC 27000 family offers help for organizations to keep their information asset more secure by minimizing risks. There are more than a dozen family members that belong to the ISO/IEC 27000 family.
By taking help from the ISO/IEC 27000 standard, one can secure data assets like intellectual property, personal data of employees, financial data, or any form of information that belong to the third party.
ISMS (Information Security Management System) is one of the systematic approach designed for small, medium and large companies to help them secure their information that includes processes, people associated with the procedures and other IT systems that apply a risk management process.
ISO/IEC 27001 Certification
Fasten your seat belt as we begin our journey to ISO/IEC 27001.
Overview of ISO/IEC 27001
An internationally recognized success proven practice framework for any ISMS that provides assistance to not only highlight risks existing in the system but to devise relevant and useful security measures that are perfect for your management system.
Implementing ISO/IEC 27001
First, spread awareness about the importance of implementing ISO/IEC 27001 so that intellectual data of your organization can be secured from risks.
Here are some baby steps that you can take to implement ISO/IEC 27001:
- Get full commitment and top management support at all levels.
- Actively engage the whole team by conducting good internal announcements followed by meeting sessions.
- Draw a comparison between the current management system and the requirements of ISO/IEC 27001.
- Gather 360 degrees feedback from customers and suppliers on your existing management system.
- Gather top talent and make an implementation team get the best of the best outcomes.
- Craft roles and responsibilities, along with time scales for the team
- Adapt the elementary principles of ISO/IEC 27001 standard for your business
- Get your staff motivated with the help of training, bonuses, and incentives
- Share ISO/IEC 27001 elementary knowledge and encourage your team to get training as an internal auditor
- Measure, review, and monitor ISO/IEC 27001 standard to ensure that you are continuously improving
How to Get Certification for ISO/IEC 27001?
Following are the certification steps for ISO/IEC 27001:
ISO/IEC 27001 Gap Analysis
A gap analysis should be conducted before final assessment visit. A closer look will be given to ISMS and draw a comparison between the existing system and requirements of ISO/IEC 27001.
A formal assessment can be carried out to review and measure ISO/IEC 27001 readiness and can cover gaps if identified.
On achieving ISO/IEC 27001 certification (which is only valid for the next three years), one has to opt for a continuous improvement cycle.
Why Implement ISO 27001?
The reasons for implementing ISO 27001 are:
- Many strategic businesses objectives and goals based on risk management decisions that provided a described level of assurance.
- To make information security better and report to justify ongoing, outgoing and increasing adequate controls
- Security of any information that is found intellectual and confidential in any form like hardcopy papers, videos, voices, and in any other digital ways.
Maintaining ISO 27001 Certification
It is a myth that getting ISO 27001 means getting your job done for a lifetime, which is not the case. Your real responsibility begins right after certification of ISO 27001 as you now need to maintain it from then onwards. The ISO 27001 certificate is only valid for three years, and re-certification one must have to undergo the same audit process as was done initially at the time of ISO 27001 certification.
1. Operating the ISMS
Ensure to perform all activities complaint with ISO 27001, which means all procedures being followed are under the clauses and fulfilling the requirements of ISO 27001.
2. Updating Documentation
Conditions and business needs might change with time. Some new products will be created using innovative ways, and some old products or technologies can be abolished or transformed into something new.
Your policies and procedures will be updated, and there always be new requirements which you need to fulfill as we are all living in a competitive market world.
Updating the documentation should be a mandatory part of your management system after periodic reviews leading to report submission to higher management to make the whole chain effective.
3. Risk Assessment Review
Threats and risks will also change their forms or may become more intensive. Risk management strategies should also be upgraded in the same way as chances are being got stronger.
4. Measure, Monitor and Review ISMS
How to know if you are on the right track or not? As far as monitoring is concerned, one must have to keep a close eye on developing and increasing threats and risks or even best practice to keep risks in your radar is recording incidents or security threats received from external sources. These real risks will assist you in making your system more secure and ultimately risk-free.
5. Perform Effective Internal Audits
Internal audits, if done correctly, can be of great help as it will highlight many loopholes existing in your current management system (although you will be ISO 27001 certified). Due to advancement continuously occurring in your order may lead to a few gaps which might get overlooked by your team as they have multiple things to focus on, and priorities may change with time.
6. Perform Successful Management Reviews
To make sure all management reviews lead to fruitful outcomes will be the prime responsibility of the top leadership team. You need to ensure that all keynotes and control points were being briefed to the management, and in case of deviation, the administration has taken actions too.
7. Devise Efficient Corrective Actions
Corrective actions are essential to solving problems. Improvements should be part and parcel of your management system and so are corrective actions which must be efficient.
A surveillance audit will be conducted every year by the certification body, and they will surely check all the above points mentioned to gauge your ISO 27001 compliance level.
Looking to get ISO 27001 accreditation for your business?
What questions do you have and how can we help?